The Logistics Optimization Engineer utilizes Lean methodologies to identify and eliminate all forms of waste. The LOE is expected to go to where the work happens, understand it and improve it. The LOE fosters an effective, nimble and urgent routing environment that flexes with business changes to produce safe and optimal routing solutions that meet customer expectations. Although focused on Logistics, the LOE will maintain a companywide point of view ensuring that solutions deliver the best enterprise wide results. The Logistics Optimization Engineer leads data gathering and analysis to uncover and implement operational improvements. This position compiles data, develops reports, and creates / deploys continuous improvement initiatives for various groups in the South (including the Southwest Group). He/She routinely participates in route rides and other Logistics’ activities for the purposes of conducting time and motion studies and developing solutions. The LOE implements Dean Logistics’ standards and best practices. He/She maintains information and master data ensuring that data is clean and current. The LOE uses routing software to create optimal route solutions.
This position will play a key role in the success of the Dean Foods Logistics Initiatives, such as Connected Fleet, by delivering training on how to use new Logistics software applications, reporting tools, interfaces and handheld devices.
Specifically, the responsibilities of the individual will include:
- Delivers technical training to management, drivers and other Logistics end users.
- Lead and discuss how the various integrated software programs and tools work together, and will run test case scenarios to properly demonstrate the system functionality to end users.
- On a regular basis, this role will meet with the Director of Logistics & VP of Logistics to discuss application needs and determine next course of action for the South Group
- Report and track progress, defects, and confirm fixes, from session to session and will troubleshoot issues raised by users to determine if there is a program issue and/or a user issue that needs to be further addressed through additional training.
- Provide analytical support on key cost savings initiatives and associated KPIs (including branch moves/closures)
- Lead special projects for the South Groups to drive efficiencies and cost savings (including Southwest Group)
- Ability to perform independent, self-directed analysis that will assist management in making strategic decisions while using information gathered from multiple sources including current performance software, Dean’s back office platforms, and an internal sales data warehouse to help make these decisions.
- Partners with the cross functional leadership team with reporting, data gathering data, and providing solutions to complex situations.
- Responsible for managing 2 hourly direct reports (Logistics Technicians)
- Participates in route rides for the purposes of conducting time and motion studies, uncovering waste and developing optimal solutions.
- Observes office and yard activities for the purposes of conducting time and motion studies, uncovering waste and developing optimal solutions.
- Through time and motion studies, the LOE identifies best practices and develops, documents and deploys those as standard operating procedures for the entire Southwest Group, including sharing best practices with various groups in the South for continuous improvement.
- The LOE applies the SOPs to route activities and develops optimized routing solutions and creates new time stamped route schedules reflecting the best demonstrated practices and times.
- Analyzes asset utilization, develops and deploys solutions that maximize asset utilization without creating up or downstream bottlenecks.
- Analyzes fuel MPG data by asset and driver, develops and deploys solutions to maximize MPG.
- Analyzes customer return data by customer, product and driver and develops and deploys solutions to minimize customer returns without sacrificing sales or service.
- Performs observation and analysis of activities at all Logistics’ facilities including branches, coolers, docks, cross-docks and satellites for the purposes of identifying and eliminating waste.
- Works with Dean’s corporate Lean resources and VP of Logistics to design and deploy best practices and standards for the South Groups.
- Works with Managers, Supervisors, and new Engineers (LOE’s) to help them understand, deploy and sustain improvement initiatives.
- Creates and distributes weekly and monthly KPI performance and ranking postings
- Assists with customer RPFs by providing accurate cost to serve data.
- Maintains master data ensuring it is clean and current.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Industrial Engineering preferred (A minimum of 3 years of dairy plant or food industry experience may be considered in lieu of degree) with 3+ years of experience in a training delivery role, including computer-based training, is required for external candidates (Dean Foods internal knowledge, especially from a Logistics management/supervisory role, will be considered in lieu of this requirement).
- Previous experience delivering training on Supply Chain/Logistics Software (PeopleNet, TMW Appian and/or Route Power, etc.) is highly desired.
- Broad understanding of Supply Chain and/or Logistics areas, including transportation is a must.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills, strong interpersonal and relationship skills is a must.
- High comfort level interfacing with a cross-section of employee groups, including field employees and corporate employees is a must.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience within a manufacturing plant
- Experience with People Net, Direct Route, DR Track and Road Net – Preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.) – Required
- Experience with Lean methodologies and tools (e.g., DMAIC, PDCA, Kaizen, Gemba, Time Studies, Process Mapping, 5 Whys, 5 S, and others)
- Experience developing and improving processes
- Detail oriented with strong organizational, analytical and critical reasoning skills
- Ability to manage deadlines, organize, prioritize work and collaborate effectively with other internal and external teams