The Steve’s brand will be Dean Foods first entrée into the highly competitive and innovative super-premium Ice Cream segment, requiring strong leadership to realize its strategic growth and profit potential. The Director of Sales Planning and Business Development will be accountable for the overall profit and loss of the Steve’s business and will drive all Commercial aspects to stabilize, reinvigorate and grow the Steve’s brand. The Director of Sales Planning & Business Development must be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit. He/she must be able to build trust and influence others in order to work cross-functionally and leverage resources from across the company.
Overall Leadership - Set goals for the business and lead organization to deliver strategies.
- Owner of the Steve’s brand P&L, making trade-off decisions as necessary
- Determine business strategy, through collaboration with Ice Cream business leadership and other functional resources, to stabilize, reinvigorate, and grow the brand. Define needed resources and gain approval.
- Cascade determined business strategies across the company, including development of quantifiable goals and objectives
- Prepare, communicate and educate stakeholders on brand, strategy, products and goals
- Lead collaboration across the business functional teams including Operations, Logistics, Procurement, Finance, R&D, Commercial, and other stakeholders
- Challenge and inspire team members and other stakeholders to achieve business results
- Manage and work collaboratively with the founder of the Steve’s brand, who most likely will be working for the company in a Commercial role.
Brand Marketing & Innovation – Work collaboratively with Dean Foods Ice Cream Marketing leadership to perform the following:
- Assess, adjust and sharpen existing brand strategy and positioning
- Create, coordinate and execute the annual marketing plans and tactics for the brand
- Drive stream of on-trend product innovation for the brand by immersing into food trends
- Commission consumer research as necessary through the development of a project brief
- Lead commercialization of new innovation and brand updates (eg, packaging, formula changes, etc.)
Sales Strategy, Planning & Execution - Lead the stabilization and execution of brand distribution across sales channel.
- Develop and execute commercial channel strategic plan, including customer prioritization, timing and resources required
- Formalize and execute sales coverage plan, including the utilization of both Dean Foods internal and broker resources
- Create and lead the execution of an annual execution agenda focused on distribution, shelving, pricing and merchandising (DSMP) principles
- Attend and participate in customer meetings as needed
Business Planning & Execution – Proven ability to develop strategic and operational plans, measuring execution and monitoring results:
- Prepare, communicate and educate on brands, strategy and business goals within the organization
- Develop and deliver consumer and category fact-based presentations
- Utilize IRI data and other syndicated data to identify growth opportunities
- Develop fact-based demand and business forecasts
- Lead monthly and quarterly business reviews
Business & Special Projects Support – Participate in other activities as determined by management:
- Participate as an active member of Dean’s Ice Cream Leadership Team
- Support Dean’s assessment and execution of other artisan Ice Cream M&A partnering opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree (MBA a plus)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in management roles with experience in managing multiple disciplines with revenue / P&L accountability. Ice Cream category experience preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with smaller start-up businesses (strongly preferred)
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit with a strong bias toward action
- Must be able to demonstrate strong business management skills, including the ability to build strategy and then link it to the day-to-day analysis and management of the P&L
- Knowledge of Strategic Planning, Annual Operating Plan Development, Customer Planning, Sales Processes, Brand Planning, Innovation and Commercialization, and Data Analysis
- Extraordinary verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success in developing and delivering engaging presentations to customers, executive level audiences and to larger teams.
- Ability to build trust and influence across all levels of the organization, including multiple functions across geographies, in order to drive results and solve problems
- Ability to operate in a lean organization with limited direct resources
- Proficient in Syndicated Data Reporting (e.g. Nielsen, IRI) and Microsoft Office products for needed for analysis and presentation purposes.
- Sets an example of personal integrity, trust, dignity, respect, and diversity of thought
- Must be willing able to travel up to 30 – 40%; candidates need to live near major airport
- Position will require visiting the Wilbraham, MA office for 2 days on a weekly basis
- Position is based in Northeast area (Boston or NYC preferred)