The Senior Accountant II, under general direction, is responsible for the most complex activities associated with maintaining ledger accounts and for developing financial statements and reports. The Senior Accountant II serves as a resource to the corporate office, field accounting and other functions within the Company by providing guidance and expertise, and maintaining and reporting accurate and timely financial information. He/she is responsible for recording, managing and maintaining monthly accruals and other journal entries and reconciliations for designated departments or plants. He/she may also be responsible for other accounting processes and must ensure that appropriate controls and compliance processes are followed.
Specific duties include, but are not limited, to the following:
• Assists in the completion of the monthly accounting close process and ensures that all journal entries for assigned areas are timely, accurate, and in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Prepares assigned monthly journal entries and account reconciliations in a timely and accurate manner and ensures appropriate supporting documentation for each
• Prepares monthly, quarterly, annual and various other accounting analyses and reports and provides accounting data or other information needed to prepare the Company’s external financial information and disclosures
• Researches, explains, and documents significant income statements variances (versus forecast, prior year, etc.) for assigned departments or other areas of responsibility
• Conducts various financial analyses, such as reviewing balance sheet and income statement accounts for significant, unusual, or unexpected variances (versus forecast, prior year, etc).
• Researches variances to identify root cause, and effectively communicate results of analyses (in verbal or written form) to accounting/finance management
• Coordinates and communicates accounting matters with other functions or departments as needed
• Supports FP&A or other groups as needed with budgeting/forecasting processes, as applicable
• Supports internal and external audits and compliance with the Company’s SOX controls and accounting policies
• Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
• Undergraduate degree (B.S. or equivalent) in Accounting. Advanced degree in Accounting preferred
• Minimum of 4-5 years of hands-on accounting experience; a combination of Big 4/national firm public accounting and industry experience at a large publicly traded company is preferred.
• CPA certification or current CPA exam candidate preferred.
• In•depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), balance sheet and income statement methods, internal controls, and other areas related to financial reporting
• Ability to use financial tools and applications. Knowledge of/experience with JDE and HFM preferred.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Advanced Excel skills strongly preferred.
• Ability to use systematic processes.
• Ability to identify and solve problems.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills, including a high degree of professional maturity and the ability to effectively interface with multiple levels of management, are critical to success in the role. • Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs.
• Ability to work collaboratively with all departments, management levels within the company, and external stakeholders.
• Skill in organization, prioritization, and attention to detail.
• Must be able to work for extended periods of time to meet deadlines for special projects. Some travel may be required.
• Must be able to pass all pre-employment screens (including drug, background and criminal checks).
Dean Foods considers marijuana (including medical marijuana) to be an illegal drug. Dean Foods will rescind offers of employment to applicants who test positive for marijuana (unless restricted from doing so by state or local law). Dean Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
California applicants, click here for information regarding the data collection notice for California Consumer Privacy Act.