The Senior Accountant I, under general direction, is responsible for the more complex activities associated with maintaining ledger accounts and for developing financial statements and reports. He/she supports the business by maintaining and reporting accurate and timely financial information. The Senior Accountant I serves as a resource to Corporate Office or less- to medium- complex plants or warehouses on accounting matters. He/she ensures appropriate controls and compliance processes are followed. Additionally he/she prepares and/or provides information or reports as scheduled or required.
• Ensures that all accounting entries within the groups or plants they support are timely, accurate, and comply with generally accepted accounting principles
• Assists in completing the monthly close process and ensuring balance sheet entries are reconciled, reviewed, and have appropriate supporting documentation.
• Prepares and reviews other consolidated statements and various other accounting statements and reports.
• Assists in the preparation of the appropriate quarterly and annual reporting packages.
• Analyzes financial reports and records, making recommendations relative to the accounting of reserves, assets, and expenditures.
• Reviews and verifies the accuracy of journal entries and accounting classifications assigned to various records.
• Conducts special studies and develops or recommends accounting methods and procedures.
• Provides functional advice or training to less-experienced accountant positions.
• Coordinates accounting matters with other departments, locations, and divisions.
• Performs other duties as assigned. • May conduct variance analyses such as reviewing the balance sheet and income statement for significant, unusual or unexpected variances, and researching variances to identify root cause for variance.
• May conduct report analyses such as creating reports of departmental expenses, analyzing assigned department's expenses, providing explanations for data fluctuations, generating schedules for Corporate and SEC reporting, generating schedules for Corporate and SEC reporting, completing annual Tax packages, completing consolidated PP&E, Capital and CIP reports, creating and completing federal and state milk report(s), analyzing conversion and MIP variances, and performing ad hoc analyses.
• May support the budget process by partnering with Finance to incorporate their guidance and numbers into the budget's preparation, and collaborating with plant management to identify and allocate conversion and MIP costs for the upcoming year.
• May support internal and external audits and SOX controls by supplying Area Controller or Auditors with material and back up, assigning tasks to individuals, forwarding requests and deadlines to those responsible, and ensuring compliance with SOX controls and Dean Foods; policies.
• May provide cost accounting support by updating current costs including milk, packaging, and ingredients, and creating, reviewing and updating Bill of Materials•
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
• Minimum of 3 years accounting experience.
• CPA certification preferred.
• In-depth knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), balance sheet and income statement methods, internal controls, and other areas related to financial reporting
• Ability to use financial tools.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to use systematic processes.
• Ability to analyze and solve problems.
• Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
• Ability to adapt to changing organizational and operational needs.
• Ability to work collaboratively with all departments, management levels within the company, and external stakeholders.
• Skill in organization, prioritization, and attention to detail.
• Must be able to travel and work for extended periods of time to meet deadlines for special projects.
Dean Foods considers marijuana (including medical marijuana) to be an illegal drug. Dean Foods will rescind offers of employment to applicants who test positive for marijuana (unless restricted from doing so by state or local law). Dean Foods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
California applicants, click here for information regarding the data collection notice for California Consumer Privacy Act.