The Deduction Analyst investigates and analyzes outstanding customer deductions/charge-backs to determine if they are in compliance with the terms of the applicable agreement. In this position, you will work with sales to ensure appropriate documentation is completed and communicated to customers, courteously dispute invalid deductions with customers, provide insight to accounting and sales on process improvements to more effectively organize, analyze and validate deductions.
This position will identify and resolve all types of deductions, including cash and credits, in a timely and efficient manner with a clear understanding of impact to Sales, the balance sheet and the P&L. The Deduction Analyst will work strategically with the customer support team on process changes designed to minimize deduction issues and improve invoice accuracy. The Deduction Analyst will complete trend analysis for root cause to identify cash flow opportunities and implement corrective actions to pursue collection of invalid items.
- Research and resolve deductions, including spoilage, cash discounts, promotional discounts, rebates, product returns, freight claims, and other adjustments taken by customer
- Through research, identify invalid customer deductions and develop specific reimbursement plans with sales team to recoup any amounts owed and to avoid future invalid deductions
- Provide decision support and financial insight to all third parties in a timely manner as well as research and validate all Logistic deductions.
- Partner with other Departments to provide financial insight on process gaps, opportunities and specifically the impact of deductions on cash flow.
- Identify deductions trends at the customer level by performing root cause analysis and communicate such trends to management; develop recommendations for the team to review and implement
- Create and maintain Chargebacks Manual with up to date information pertaining to all accounts.
- Responsible for data accuracy, performance and reporting on periodic audits of the 3rd Party resources, when applicable.
- Ensure accuracy of coding, other details and compliance to trade spend budgets
- Review contracts and trade programs to determine if customer calculations are accurate. Pull data, create reports, analyze trends and provide succinct reports/presentations focused on root cause for non-compliance
- Works independently with sales team and high-profile customers to decision issue resolution related to trade promotion deductions (many complex programs and contractual arrangements)
- Develop monthly and ad-hoc reports, as needed, in order to provide data to the Deductions and other internal teams (e.g. open deduction reports for the Deduction Coordinators, unapplied payment reports, and other reporting as required)
- Responsible for select high-visibility, complex customer accounts including research of deductions – gather source documents (including research on customer portals), research contractual requirements, and interact directly with customers to analyze and resolve issues
- Partner with Commercial/Sales/Marketing/Advertising teams to determine customers' eligibility for promotional programs (e.g. slotting, promotional and advertising events, contractual agreements….)
- Assist Deduction Coordinators with resolution of escalated issues; provide recommendations and decisions on best course of action.
- Minimize risk of loss to the company by ensuring that overall customer collection status is assessed prior to the issuance of promotional rebates/incentives
- Support special projects with data through use of data mining tools and techniques or from OTC data files to resolve open issues
- BS/BBA, preferred. Accounting or other business-related field or equivalent work experience required.
Business experience required:
- Minimum of two years relevant, applicable and transferable experience in a corporate and/or Shared Services environment or equivalent (may be a developmental role based on prior skillset or degree)
- Knowledge of transactional processes and systems
- Significant attention to detail
- Strong analytical capabilities
- Excellent communicator with exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent negotiation & problem-solving skills
- Team player willing to help others through training, mentoring, and motivating staff to achieve Department and Company goals
- Exposure to AS400 accounts receivable systems, a plus
- Oracle Demantra or other TPM tool experience desired
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
- Customer Service Mentality; ability to build collaborative relationships with customers and internal business partners (Finance, Commercial, Accounting….)
- Leads by example
- Clear and concise communication skills
- High Level of Accountability
- Organization-wide Perspective
- Results Orientation
- Financial Business Acumen
- Conceptual Thinking
- Process Improvement Mindset
- GAAP Accounting Knowledge
- Sense of Urgency
- Environment (Office, warehouse, etc.) – office environment
- Physical Requirements (Lifting, standing, etc.) General Office Demands