This position is primarily responsible for supporting the company in the management, collaboration, and execution of programs around driver and distribution safety, occupational health, and environmental at a market and territory level. This position is directly accountable for developing and executing field distribution training programs that meet federal, state, and local laws and safety regulations, comply with Company policies and programs, and support business strategies critical to Dean Foods. This position will provide oversight for the workers compensation claims management for the locations supported within the territory. This position will work closely with the logistics leadership in the territory and other members of the EHS. This position will report directly to the SR EHS Director, Logistics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and executes overall logistics EHS and Fleet safety training programs within all locations in the territory.
- Ensure that newly hired drivers are provided an onboarding and training process before they start driving routes.
- Works with corporate Risk Management to oversee coordination of open claims and location relationship of TPA and service providers.
- Works with territory logistics team through meetings, periodic phone calls, postings, and other communications to deploy programs that help target high risk situations.
- Plans, directs, and monitors proactive safety strategies, processes and programs for all covered facilities
- Performs facility and fleet safety audits to ensure compliance with Federal, State and company standards
- Provides timely and accurate safety information and guidance to covered locations
- Assists in the development and implementation of standard operating procedures for safety and compliance using known industry and company best practices
- Design and development of safety and operational training programs for our drivers, warehouse and fleet shop employees
- Support local leadership in owning Safety Culture and lead by example
- Develop a network of safety “points of contact” at each of the covered facilities
- Ensures timely incident investigations into serious vehicle crashes and workplace injuries in order to mitigate hazardous operating conditions
- Execution of short-and-long-range planning activities covering all aspects of safety in the areas of operating vehicles, material handling and vehicle maintenance
- Implements and maintains defensive driving programs that minimize auto liability
- Supports DQ files, alcohol, and drug testing and programs
- Supports completion of all required safety meetings and training
- Communicates corporate safety scores, DOT Basics/SMS, and all other benchmark metrics
- Accountable for territory goals, objectives, and initiatives
- Accountable for DriveCam and metric improvement
- Performs other duties as required
- Travel requirement: 50%+
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Demonstrated knowledge of the following:
- Bachelor's degree within EHS is preferred; High School diploma or equivalency is required
- 7 years of experience managing EHS, DOT and Fleet Safety. Experience with OSHA, DOT, and EPA regulatory requirements
- Strong DSD background
- Experience managing and leading in a matrix reporting environment desired
- Experience with continuous improvement, lean manufacturing in a distribution environment, and/or six sigma desired
- A history of successful implementation of behavioral and proactive safety programs and processes
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely (verbal and written)
- Strong analytical and presentation skills required
- Education and/or experience: Preferred candidate will possess any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to the completion of a Bachelor’s Degree and have a minimum of 3 years professional safety, distribution, or fleet experience.